Have you noticed little wisps of dust puffing out from an air duct every time you turn on your home’s heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system? Have you seen dust or pet hair trapped in a vent? Is there dust coating the grill on the return air registers? These might be indications that your home’s duct work might be due for a thorough cleaning.
Inside your HVAC system, fine dust collects on air duct surfaces, vents, motors and coils. Flakes of dead skin, hair and pet dander catch onto the dust, and before too long this process creates a dense, mat-like environment where bacteria, mold, dust mites and allergens can flourish. Air filters remove most of these from the air stream, but not for all parts of the HVAC system. That’s why it’s important to periodically check the condition of your air ducts to see if they could use air duct cleaning services.
Top 5 Dirty Air Duct Indicators
Any of the below indicators show that your HVAC system and ductwork is being adversely affected by too much dust and dirt.
- Open one of your vent covers and look inside. See if it contains any dirt, debris, or matted dust.
- Examine the return air registers for dust buildup, particularly if there are thick, fuzzy coatings of dust.
- Pull out the air filter. If the air filter is clogged with dust, then air flow is being choked off. This lets more dust settle and build up in the return ductwork.
- Open the furnace compartment. Examine the blower fan and motor for signs of dust as well as the furnace controls. The more dust you see, the bigger the problem you have.
- Look at the air conditioning coil. (You may need to remove a panel.) If the coil is dusty or has dust clinging to the housing walls, then the air filter hasn’t been working properly.
Top 5 Dirty Consequences
So what trouble’s in a little dirt and dust? Plenty. There are a number of problems caused by dirty ducts, ranging from increased energy costs to health problems:
- Dirt and dust restrict your HVAC system’s heating and cooling. In the winter, dirt-clogged heat exchangers cannot warm the air as efficiently. In the summer, dirt-clogged condensing coils are unable to cool the air as well. These both increase the HVAC systems run time, requiring it to use more fuel and energy to heat and cool your home.
- Dirt and dust restrict air flow. Let’s say your system is doing a fine job of heating and cooling the air. But if the blower fan or motor can’t turn because of dirt or the air filter is clogged with dust, then the system can’t effectively circulate that properly warmed or cooled air throughout your home. It’s still going to run longer and use more energy.
- The longer your HVAC system operates, the more wear and tear it undergoes. Long run times can shorten the overall life time of HVAC systems, from AC compressors to hydro pumps, burners, and motor bearings. You’ll wear out your home’s HVAC system sooner.
- Dust contains not only fine dirt, but also dead skin, pet dander, microorganisms from cat litter (toxoplasmosis), and other particulates such as pollen, mold spores, fungi, and even rodent feces. Left to contaminate your HVAC system, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria, mites, and other pests.
- Dirt and dust spread quicker in a home with dirty ducts. No matter how diligent you may dust and clean your home, fine particulate contaminates, including dangerous allergens, quickly flow from room to room to cover tables, smart phones, and children’s toys.
About ABC Cleaning, Inc. of Orlando, FL
Serving Central Florida since 1992, ABC Cleaning, Inc. has been the acknowledged leader in air duct cleaning, chimney cleaning and dryer vent cleaning. We’re NADCA certified, we consistently invest in and have the most modern equipment and utilize the latest technology available with the best-trained service technicians in all of Orlando. If you need help deciding whether to replace or repair faulty ducts, please contact us at ABC. We provide quality HVAC service throughout Orlando and the surrounding communities. Please give us a call today at (407) 381-2120. We are here to help!