We know that the air inside our homes is more polluted than the air outside, but what if we don’t know exactly where or which room it is coming from? Unfortunately, this past year, we all have been secluded to our homes more than ever, so healthy air quality has been a big issue for some. The key to controlling and conditioning your indoor air quality, is to become aware of each room in your home. It does not matter how often you use each space, every room’s air should be kept clean and sanitized for optimal health and safety. Investing in air purifiers and removing hazardous cleaning products, candles, perfumes, etc. can impact your air quality in a positive way. Also, airing out your home regularly especially after cooking can make a big difference. Your home might be subtly harming you without you even knowing it, and this is why every individual should test the quality of their home’s air…
Living rooms are one of the most commonly used areas of the home and are more than likely harboring pollutants. It is vital to ventilate and keep any dust, dander and smoke out of this area. Vacuuming and dusting regularly will keep these pollutants to a minimum and prevent health risks such as asthma attacks and any other upper respiratory illnesses. Keeping your pets off of furniture and rugs will also keep dander, dirt and mold at bay(yes your pets can track in mold from outside).
Bedroom’s tend to collect dust more than any other room in the house. It is recommended to keep up with washing and disinfecting your mattress, bedding sheets, pillows, curtains and any other fabrics in the room. Dust mites that harbor in your bed can trigger allergy attacks and pose a problem if not under control.
Bathroom’s tend to be the most moist area in the home (for obvious reasons) and it is important to also ventilate this space. Bathrooms house mold and humidity which can cause moisture issues and lead to asthma, allergy attacks and other serious illnesses. Making sure your bathroom’s ventilation fan is clean and working properly will help keep hazardous mold under control.
Kitchen’s pose a risk to your home because of the many appliances placed in them. Appliances can leak chemicals and gases such as carbon monoxide. Making sure to ventilate these appliances and safely store any chemicals associated with them helps lower any harmful risks. Household chemicals are also commonly stored under the kitchen sink and can be a hazard to pets and young children if ingested. Opt for organic non-toxic chemicals and if you must have toxic ones, store them up high and away from a commonly used space.