How mold & mildew affect your health
It is common to hear or read stories about people whose health has been affected by mold or mildew, and it can be a scary problem when it happens. People can get sick from any type of mold at any stage and mold does not need to be black for there to be problem or infestation. If you or a loved one has a mold allergy or any type of upper respiratory condition or disease, mold poses a major threat to your health and can trigger symptoms when exposed. Age and current health can obviously affect the severity of symptoms, but it is critical to be aware of them and seek medical attention right away if feel sick. On the other hand, if you do not have a sensitivity to mold, you most likely will not be aware of It until you see or smell it. Below are some signs and symptoms of mold possibly being present in your indoor environment:
- Itchy eyes, nose or throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Shortness of breath
- Chest Tightness
How to prevent & treat mold/mildew in your home
With all of the information provided about mold and mildew, knowing how to prevent and stop it from taking over is for sure the most important part. Prevention is hands-down the smartest method for keeping yourself, your loved ones and your home safe from mold and mildew. Provided are some easy ways to keep mold away and prevent it from growing in your home:
- Invest in a dehumidifier. Keeping your home at a safe and ideal humidity level (40%-50%) can prevent mold and mildew from growing.
- Replace air filters. Changing your HVAC and HEPA air filters regularly prevents mold and mildew from growing. These filters are prone to this and being able to detect it early will aid in treating it faster/more efficiently.
- Use an air purifier. Indoor air purifiers can remove and destroy mold spores in the air which prevents them from clustering and growing.
- Circulate your air. Keep your air flowing and circulating in your home by opening windows and using your fans. Stagnant air can trap humidity which creates an environment for mold/mildew to be able to grow.
- Keep surfaces dry. Areas such as kitchens, laundry rooms and bathrooms need to stay as dry as possible.
- Hire professionals. Having your home inspected, cleaned and treated by a professional will ensure that mold/mildew is at bay. It is essential that a certified expert take care and treat mold/mildew in your home, so you and your loved ones stay happy and healthy.