Problems with Smoke?
Is your damper open? If it is and the smoking continues, open a nearby window a crack for a minute or two until the fire is going well – then you can close it again. If it just smokes when you light the fire, it may be because the flue is cold.
Did you warm the flue with a burning rolled-up newspaper held in the damper region? If not, that usually works. If the chimney continues to smoke, call a chimney professional. Your chimney may be clogged by animal nests or an accumulation of soot and creosote or have additional problems.
The sour, sickly odor is the smell of creosote. The solution is to call a chimney professional to clean your chimney and install a chimney cap to prevent water from entering and reacting with the creosote. Your chimney professional can also recommend a good chimney deodorant to handle remaining odor which has been absorbed into the masonry.
Slow smoldering fires and/or the use of unseasoned wood can create “cool” smoke and weak draft. Under these conditions the smoke condenses and sticks to the chimney’s interior, forming highly flammable creosote. Read our section on “Efficient Burning Techniques” for the solution to this problem.
Avoiding Chimney Fires
A building of creosote is highly combustible and can result in a chimney fire. To minimize creosote:
- Burn only seasoned woods.
- Do not burn trash in a fireplace or wood stove.
- Don’t allow the fire to smolder.
- Contact your chimney professional to clean your chimney regularly.
What to do if you have a chimney fire?
- Get everything out of the house.
- Call the Fire Department.
- Don’t close the damper. If you have a fireplace with glass doors, close the doors and the vents. If you have a wood stove, close the doors and the air inlets.
- If flames are visible at the chimney top, hose down the roof but not the chimney. Spraying water on a hot chimney will very likely damage it.
- Call a ABC Cleaning, your chimney professional before using it again. Even a small chimney fire can damage the chimney, making it unsafe to use.
About ABC Cleaning, Inc. of Orlando, FL
Serving Central Florida since 1992, ABC Cleaning, Inc. has been the acknowledged leader in air duct cleaning, chimney cleaning and dryer vent cleaning. We’re NADCA certified, we consistently invest in and have the most modern equipment and utilize the latest technology available with the best-trained service technicians in all of Orlando. If you need help deciding whether to replace or repair faulty ducts, please contact us at ABC. We provide quality HVAC service throughout Orlando and the surrounding communities.
Please give us a call today at (407) 381-2120. We are here to help!