As winter starts to settle into the United States we tend to hear more and more about fires in general. From forest fires to chimney and house fires, winter is the season for them. Aside from natural forest fires, the total of house fires per year are caused mainly due to the home’s chimney. A common question amongst homeowners when it comes to fire is typically, “How can I tell if my chimney is on fire and what can I do to prevent it?” Below listed are some common warning signs that your chimney is in fact on fire and what every homeowner should be looking out for this holiday season:
- Seeing actual flames shooting out from your chimney
- Heavy dense smoke coming from your chimney
- A loud cracking and popping sound coming from your chimney
- A potent burnt and hot smell coming out of your chimney
If you happen to experience any of these warning indicators do not hesitate to call 911. It is always better safe than sorry no matter if it a false alarm or not. Never leave your chimney burning when you are not home and never leave your chimney unsupervised. Below listed are some ways in which you can help prevent a fire from taking place from your chimney and how to prepare for a safe holiday season:
- The first and most important preventative act you can do is to keep your chimney CLEAN. Do not start a new fire with the residue and ash from a previous one. This causes the fire to heat up to hotter temperatures making it easy for a chimney fire to spark.
- Hire a professional to sweep and inspect your chimney at least twice a year. Cleaning your chimney is never a DIY job and should not be considered without a professional’s advice.
- Do not burn anything except dry wood in your fireplace. Wet wood or any other substance burned in a fireplace can be toxic as well as highly flammable.
- Make sure your home is equipped with a smoke detector as well as a carbon monoxide detector and keep them close to places where fire is present.
About ABC Cleaning, Inc. of Orlando, FL
Serving Central Florida since 1992, ABC Cleaning, Inc. has been the acknowledged leader in air duct cleaning, chimney cleaning and dryer vent cleaning. We’re NADCA certified, we consistently invest in and have the most modern equipment and utilize the latest technology available with the best-trained service technicians in all of Orlando. If you need help deciding whether to replace or repair faulty ducts, please contact us at ABC. We provide quality HVAC service throughout Orlando and the surrounding communities. Please give us a call today at (407) 381-2120. We are here to help!